Zetta is an early-stage venture firm.
We lead pre-seed and seed rounds in AI-Driven startups with B2B business models. We have offices in New York and San Francisco but invest across North America and Europe.
What kind of companies do you invest in?
We invest in two categories of startups — 1.) companies applying AI to specific problems or domains, and 2.) tools for building and deploying AI systems.
How much do you typically invest?
We typically invest between $1-5M in the initial round of funding, but keep 2-3x capital reserved for future rounds so that we can continue to support portfolio companies in rounds led by later-stage investors.
Am I too early?
We want to be the first significant investor in the companies we work with. As a thematic fund, we bring to the table a deep conviction in our markets and theses. When we find a founding team who believes the same things we do, we love to back at the “founder + idea” stage.
Do you lead rounds?
We lead or co-lead the vast majority of pre-seed and seed rounds that we invest in.
Why does it matter if our investor understands ML?
AI-Driven Startups Are Unique
AI-driven startups have unique needs and constraints, especially compared to pure SaaS software. AI-driven startups may face questions and issues like data “cold-start” problems, how humans-in-the-loop can affect the business model and unit economics, how to build customer trust around data privacy or model explainability, how to recruit the right talent, how to balance competing demands of research and commercialization, and how to optimize your business model (software vs vertically integrated service). We could go on all day!
At Zetta, we’ve helped dozens of AI-driven startups on their journey from concept to invention to MVP to commercialization. Those experiences give us insight into your path and empathy for your unique challenges that you won’t get from any other investor.
How do you “help” companies?
We believe that early-stage venture capital works best when it is bespoke. We approach every investment as a unique, long-term partnership, and work with founders where they need it most.
That said, while no two startups are alike, we do see repeating patterns - almost every startup we work with needs to build a team, build an MVP, demonstrate product market fit, and raise the next round of financing. We will be at your side to figure out:
- Recruiting: Sourcing from our network, help interviewing, and help closing
- Product: Firsthand product and data strategy advice, plus access to a wide network of expert advisors
- Design partners: Introducing potential buyers, especially those with demonstrated appetite and ability to work with startups
- Business model: Are you selling software or a service? Do contracts scale with seats, data volume, transaction volume, or some other metric?
- Governance: We help you set up a formal and high functioning board
- Fundraising: We can help you identify the right metrics and benchmarks to secure the next round of funding, help you refine the narrative, and strategically target the investors who are the best fit for you. When other investors see Zetta on a cap table, they know they are dealing with a legitimate AI startup.
Where are you based?
135 W 26th St #10A
New York, NY 10001
168 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107